How to Care for Your Dentures
If you’re missing your teeth, getting dentures can restore your smile and your confidence. Dentures are a popular choice among patients and are a relatively simple way to give those who have lost their teeth a reason to smile. But just like natural teeth, dentures require proper care. Your Erdenheim dentist is here to help guide you through the right way to care for your dentures.
How to Properly Care for Dentures
Even though dentures are not natural teeth, that doesn’t mean they don’t still need a little TLC in order to keep them clean and fitting comfortably.
- Use Care When Handling. Dentures can be pretty fragile, so the first step to caring for them is to make sure you use care when handling them and cleaning them. Also, make sure to store your dentures in a safe place where they won’t easily get knocked on the floor. Being gentle with your dentures can reduce the risk of damage or the need for repairs.
- Rinse Them After Eating. Remove your dentures and thoroughly rinse them following every meal to remove any loose food particles. If leftover food is left lingering around it can contribute to bad breath and even gum disease.
- Brush Your Dentures & Your Mouth. It’s important to brush both your dentures and your mouth at least once daily to remove any bacteria buildup. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a denture cleaner to thoroughly cleanse your denture and remove any excess adhesive. As for your mouth, also use a soft-bristled brush to gently scrub any natural teeth and your tongue.
- Soak Your Dentures Every Night. In order to keep their shape and comfortably fit your mouth, dentures need to stay moist. After you remove your dentures and clean them at night, place them in a glass of water with a denture solution to soak. Your dentist in Erdenheim will be able to recommend a solution that’s best for you.
- Rinse Again in the Morning. You should thoroughly rinse your dentures before putting them back in your mouth after soaking, especially if you use a denture-soaking solution. While these solutions are good for denture care, they can lead to illness or burns if not rinsed off of a denture before it’s reinserted.
- See Your Dentist in Erdenheim. Seeing your dentist as often as recommended is key to keeping your dentures fitting well. Your dental team may also professionally clean your dentures for an ultra-thorough clean.
Dentures are an investment in your smile, and you want to take proper care of them so they last a long time and the rest of your mouth stays healthy. If dentures aren’t cared for properly, plaque can build up and cause additional tooth loss, bad breath, and even gum disease.
If you’re missing some teeth and think dentures may be right for you, call our dental office in Erdenheim to schedule a consultation. We’ll work with you to find the best tooth replacement option for you.